Soft Honey Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
Yields 24 rolls
We made these for Thanksgiving and they disappeared in seconds. Fun and easy to make, and the smell of fresh baking bread is irresistible.
- 2 Tb. dry yeast
- 1/2 c. warm water
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1/4 c. honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk
- 4-1/2-5 cups red fife whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- Dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water in a glass measure. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and honey in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add the eggs and mix, scraping the sides. Add the milk and yeast mixture.
- Add 4-1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and the salt, mixing until combined. Change to dough hook and knead for 2-3 minutes only, just until no longer tacky, adding a tablespoon or two of flour, if needed.
- Let sit in bowl, covered, to rise for one hour. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead a couple of times, then let rest 3 minutes.
- Divide into 24 equal pieces, shaping each into a ball and placing in a buttered 13×9-inch baking dish with the pieces touching.
- Let rise, covered for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Brush the tops with butter when they come out of the oven.
- Wait until they have cooled a bit, but still warm, pull apart and serve.
recipe from An Oregon Cottage